Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can we do for the environment?

Posted by misty24 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 9:58

Growing up I�ve always been taught to take action on things I believe in. I am slowly learning how certain things humans do are affecting the environment. Everyone is a stakeholder on these issues; we should be more focused on the goal rather than be divided by disagreements like what I�ve read in this article http://eparegulationlaw.com/epa-regulations/environmental-protection-agencys-methane-emissions-control/ . Any suggestions on how we can combat negative effects of emissions even on our day to day lives? I�d like to start in my own home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can we do for the environment?

first, foremost, above and beyond all,

NO. KIDS.

o

Build small, reuse old materials...don't be anxious to throw things out. Turn out the lights. Add solar panels to your roof. Buy food carefully so as not to waste it. Walk or use public transportation. All these things will also save you money....

o

reduce your footprint.
cheaper to build up than out.
invest in efficiency.
better insulation package.
better windows
best properly sized hvac system
your budget can afford.
all ducts & returns mastic sealed.
build tight, reduce air leakage.
cost is upfront savings is long term.

recycle.

best of luck

o

I live in Vermont where we like to say "We were green before green was cool".

We use renewable resources. And I know a lot of people won't like our choice, but we burn wood. We have the largest per capita use of woodstoves than any other state. And our air is the cleanest in the northeast. I use a woodstove as my main heat source. The stove is certified by the EPA and burns clean.

Our local school district just built a new middle school and it uses a wood fired furnace. Now I'm not talking about someone throwing logs in a pot belly stove, but a modern furnace that uses wood chips left over from the logging operations and sawmills.

A number of Vermonters are "off the grid" and have solar panels and woodstoves. But eating toast is a special event.

Riding a bicycle to work when it's 20 below isn't an option so we do drive cars too. And unless it's a 4x4 we stay home 5 months a year. So a Prius isn't practical unless you live in a subdivision.

A garden is mandatory. So we compost. That's self explanatory.

You see, a lot of "greenies" talk the talk, but won't actually do the nasty stuff. Like chopping wood, or composting or even gardening. They talk about insulation, electric cars, etc. We call that window dressing.

You want to be "green"? Think about what you would do if the power went out for 2 weeks during winter. And live that lifestyle.

o

There are a lot of things that affect our planet in a bad way but the good news is that everyone can help to reduce them and do their bit for the environment.
For example: pollution, energy, electricity, water etc.

o

Doing my part of reducing waste materials by choosing reusable products instead of disposables.
Also we should recycle paper, plastic, newspaper, glass and aluminum cans, whenever and wherever possible.

o

You want to be "green"? Think about what you would do if the power went out for 2 weeks during winter. And live that lifestyle.

That says it all.

o

allahakbbq, I agree 100%.....NO KIDS and for other reasons than the environment. LOL

Use soap and water to clean with, we don't need all of those specialty cleaners.

No, no, I have lived with power outage and will not live that way unless I have to. Why do without when the rest of the world is comfortable.

o

I'm not sure burning wood is the most "Earth Friendly" option. It produces CO2, A LOT of pollution, and leads to deforestation.

"Renewable" and "non-polluting" are different things. "The way our ancestors did it" is still a third...there are lots of things our ancestors could get away with because there were so many fewer people back then.

Emissions are only one of the variables in being Earth Friendly. There is also preservation of habitats.

1.) Put solar panels on your roof, put up a wind mill, or use geothermal.
2.) Insulate Insulate Insulate. The most cost effective way to reduce the amount of energy we use.
3.) Be a vegetarian...it generally takes far less land to produce vegetables then meat.
4.) Bicycle to work or take the subway.
5.) NO LAWN! Lawns are monocultures, often made of invasive non-native grasses, offer little food and are often maintained with pesticides and lots of irrigation. Native Prairie or native trees are a better option.
6.) Plant native plants that provide food for pollinators. See if you can obtain seeds from rare or endangered plants and plant them (if you can get them from a source that doesn't deplete wild stores).
7.) Live in the city. (Studies show it reduces fuel used in transportation and a crowded city leaves more land free for habitats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here