Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misty24_gw

What can we do for the environment?

misty24
11 years ago

Growing up I�ve always been taught to take action on things I believe in. I am slowly learning how certain things humans do are affecting the environment. Everyone is a stakeholder on these issues; we should be more focused on the goal rather than be divided by disagreements like what I�ve read in this article http://eparegulationlaw.com/epa-regulations/environmental-protection-agencys-methane-emissions-control/ . Any suggestions on how we can combat negative effects of emissions even on our day to day lives? I�d like to start in my own home.

Comments (9)

• allahakbbq
    11 years ago

first, foremost, above and beyond all,

NO. KIDS.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Build small, reuse old materials...don't be anxious to throw things out. Turn out the lights. Add solar panels to your roof. Buy food carefully so as not to waste it. Walk or use public transportation. All these things will also save you money....

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

reduce your footprint.
    cheaper to build up than out.
    invest in efficiency.
    better insulation package.
    better windows
    best properly sized hvac system
    your budget can afford.
    all ducts & returns mastic sealed.
    build tight, reduce air leakage.
    cost is upfront savings is long term.

recycle.

best of luck

• christopherh
    11 years ago

I live in Vermont where we like to say "We were green before green was cool".

We use renewable resources. And I know a lot of people won't like our choice, but we burn wood. We have the largest per capita use of woodstoves than any other state. And our air is the cleanest in the northeast. I use a woodstove as my main heat source. The stove is certified by the EPA and burns clean.

Our local school district just built a new middle school and it uses a wood fired furnace. Now I'm not talking about someone throwing logs in a pot belly stove, but a modern furnace that uses wood chips left over from the logging operations and sawmills.

A number of Vermonters are "off the grid" and have solar panels and woodstoves. But eating toast is a special event.

Riding a bicycle to work when it's 20 below isn't an option so we do drive cars too. And unless it's a 4x4 we stay home 5 months a year. So a Prius isn't practical unless you live in a subdivision.

A garden is mandatory. So we compost. That's self explanatory.

You see, a lot of "greenies" talk the talk, but won't actually do the nasty stuff. Like chopping wood, or composting or even gardening. They talk about insulation, electric cars, etc. We call that window dressing.

You want to be "green"? Think about what you would do if the power went out for 2 weeks during winter. And live that lifestyle.

• leenamark
    11 years ago

There are a lot of things that affect our planet in a bad way but the good news is that everyone can help to reduce them and do their bit for the environment.
    For example: pollution, energy, electricity, water etc.

• leenamark
    10 years ago

Doing my part of reducing waste materials by choosing reusable products instead of disposables.
    Also we should recycle paper, plastic, newspaper, glass and aluminum cans, whenever and wherever possible.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    10 years ago

You want to be "green"? Think about what you would do if the power went out for 2 weeks during winter. And live that lifestyle.

That says it all.

• emma
    10 years ago

allahakbbq, I agree 100%.....NO KIDS and for other reasons than the environment. LOL

Use soap and water to clean with, we don't need all of those specialty cleaners.

No, no, I have lived with power outage and will not live that way unless I have to. Why do without when the rest of the world is comfortable.

Sponsored