Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Spray Foam

Posted by mav3481 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 0:30

I did a search and didn't come up with anything...so here it goes.

I've got a 1 story ranch with a full basement that so far gets awfully chilly in the kitchen (furthest from furnace). I was looking at ways to try to better insulate everything, especially the overhang over the edge of the foundation.

I would *love* to have someone come in and spray foam it all to provide a vapor barrier along this entire edge of the house. I figure that I'd want to start in the kitchen first since it is furthest away and could use all the help I can get. I was looking into DIY Spray Foam and I was wondering if anyone had done it themselves.

It doesn't seem terribly difficult, you just have to be careful to be safe. Does anyone have any comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Spray Foam

I'd suggest getting a quote. The DIY kits that I looked at cost the same as having someone come out and do it. It'll be messy, and I was happy to have someone else doing it.

o

Mav...let me know what you decide. I've also looked at DIY spray foam kits but wonder if they work as well as the videos on the seller's web site portrays.

I can see spending $600 for the kit and having the spray gun always clogging up.

I'm having a local company here in Cleveland, OH come out and give me an estimate on spray foaming my rim joist cavities.

o

I used 2" XPS and cut the pieces a little smaller and then foamed them in place with cans of foam. It was time consuming but it did work out really well and made a huge difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here