Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Micro Hydro with Artesian Well?

Posted by strawboss (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 19:29

Just had a well dug on the property I'm moving to and turns out I have 25-30 gpm artesian flow! The property is flat as a pancake but I'm wondering if it would be possible to utilize this great resource for power generation somehow? Anyone with knowledge of how it would work or the right place to find good info? Much appreciated.

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Micro Hydro with Artesian Well?

This is not a very active forum so you might want to find a board that is dedicated specifically to renewable or even hydro. My SOTP feeling is that you don't have nearly enough power there to make it worthwhile. In addition to that, you will be wasting a lot of good ground water which may not be so renewable depending on your location. I would think you would want to cap it off and enjoy not having to pump your water from depth.

o

Sorry strawboss, I like your thinking, but you would need a lot of elevation drop(head)to make any power.

o

grinding mills have very little elevation drop and do lots of work...200lbs are available here..a technician sharp with this type of surface water could get creative and do something..maybe generate some power??

o

Grinding action can be slow. Electricity generation requires fast speeds at small scale. You could surely generate some but not enough to be worth it.

o

Thanks, everyone. Yes, Ionized, the well is capped off and I'm very grateful I don't need a pressure tank and can flow it directly into my house. Thought it was worth thinking about. I could possibly use the artesian flow to get it up into a cool tank like the one on Petticoat Junction and then I could get enough head. Will keep thinking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here