Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to put new pellet stove in 2 story house?

Posted by ktlcorn (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 07 at 11:16

We are considering purchasing a used pellet stove today (a Whitfield Optima 3). I'm fairly certain we will buy it. However, DH and I are not sure where the best location would be for the stove.

We have a traditional two story house with a full basement. Each of the three levels is approximately 800 sq. feet. We don't have a lot of room on the main level where we have our living room/dining room and kitchen. I think it should be in the basement and let the heat filter upstairs. Our basement is, for the most part, unfinished...still has concrete walls on the outside walls, though our sons, age 15 and 10, live down there (it's "boyland"). The rest of the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. We don't plan on finishing the basement until they are grown up and GONE! lol

DH thinks it should be in our dining room, but some furniture would have to go and I suspect we'd have to spend some money to make it attractive and safe (such as brick on the wall and floor). I also worry that having it in the dining room, where it would be near the thermostat, would make the basement freezing cold during the winter.

We do have an unused fireplace in our living room, and the ideal would be to have an insert in there, but at this time we can't afford a new one and this used one has come up which we feel is a good deal.

We live in southeast Nebraska to give you an idea about our climate.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Christy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to put new pellet stove in 2 story house?

I have a similar type house and put pellet stove in the basement. Heat rises so this is best place to put stove. Try and put the stove in the center of basement and facing the stairs so heat flows upstairs.

If you were to put stove upstairs, you would get no heat to the lower level
Jasper

o
RE: Where to put new pellet stove in 2 story house?

I put my Harmon stove in the basement. It is slightly unfinished. Before the stove the floors were always cold and the basement was cold. Now the basement and first floor are warm and the second floor stays around 68 to 72 degrees with the house fan on. I would NOT put it on the first floor. GO for the basement. You won't regret it. Any questions just ask.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here