Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electronic Fluorescent ballast

Posted by turningcolorz (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 07 at 10:01

I have several 4' flourescents in my basement workshop, all running of the same switch. Some are the newer electronic ballast, and some are the old transformer type ballasts. Both types call for the same bulb, but the electronic ballast seems to burn out the bulbs in a year. The bulbs in the old transformer type last 10 years or more. (One has bulbs that are 20 years old)! I've already spent more on replacement bulbs than the cost of the fixtures.
Does anyone know why this would be?

Thanks,
Mike - TurningColorz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electronic Fluorescent ballast

are you sure it is the fixtures burning out the bulbs, or is it the el cheapo bulbs they make now. we have a few 8' lights at work that for 15 years had the same bulbs in them. in the last 4 years the bulbs last no more than a year! we get ours at a local electrical supply house, NOT the off brands from lowes, but even so they don't last much longer than the off brands.

o
RE: Electronic Fluorescent ballast

I don't think it's the bulbs, they do fine in the older fixtures, 5-10 years.
In the shop I have 4 ballast type and 3 electronic. The electronic ones always burn out within a year. It might be worthwhile to spend 5 times more for the old ballast type fixtures next time, sure would save on the cost of replacement bulbs.

Mike - TurningColorz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here