o
DIY Geothermal

Posted by fayemarie (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 3:22

Purchased my geothermal system through a company online and we have been
installing it ourselves . Mine is a 6 ton water to water system with radiant
distribution . I am owner building my home and I know most of you have
hired builders and contractors but if anyone is interested in information -
I would be happy to answer any questions you have .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Geothermal

I would be very interested. I have been researching wind generators Horizontal and vertical axis. I did put in a open water geothermal ac/heat last year.

Water to water. Hmmm

Jim

o

Jim ,

I have been researchng the wind generators , too . I think I am going to save that project for after the home is complete , though . Is your geothermal open loop with forced air distribution ? Did you use wells or a pond ? Just finished the radiant tubing and concrete pour . This week hooking up manifolds , mixing valves and pumps for the radiant and installing the geothermal pump.
What have you come up with for the wind generators ? I am concerned
about getting approval from the local authorities . My electric company
offers net-metering . I do not plan to store power but since my house is
all electric - anything that brings down the monthly bill would be worth looking into . I am just trying to figure out how much it would save me ,
so I can decide it it's a good investment or not . Any links or advice you have would be appreciated . Faye

o

What company did you buy from online? I'd like to do my own geothermal.

o

Check out the post on the Heating and Air Conditioning forum, serach "TerraSource Geothermal DIY" before you embark on a DIY GT project.

I have a GT system and witnessed just about everything during the install - very glad I had pro's do it. I am very handy but would never ever attempt to DIY one of these unless it was a hobby project for fun or to learn.

There are many variables that must be considered to making sure the design is right for your specific site and house design. Even if you somehow manage to get it to work, plan on doing your own troubleshooting and maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here