fayemarie_gw

DIY Geothermal

fayemarie
15 years ago

Purchased my geothermal system through a company online and we have been

installing it ourselves . Mine is a 6 ton water to water system with radiant

distribution . I am owner building my home and I know most of you have

hired builders and contractors but if anyone is interested in information -

I would be happy to answer any questions you have .

Comments (4)

• jeep461
    15 years ago

I would be very interested. I have been researching wind generators Horizontal and vertical axis. I did put in a open water geothermal ac/heat last year.

Water to water. Hmmm

Jim

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim ,

I have been researchng the wind generators , too . I think I am going to save that project for after the home is complete , though . Is your geothermal open loop with forced air distribution ? Did you use wells or a pond ? Just finished the radiant tubing and concrete pour . This week hooking up manifolds , mixing valves and pumps for the radiant and installing the geothermal pump.
    What have you come up with for the wind generators ? I am concerned
    about getting approval from the local authorities . My electric company
    offers net-metering . I do not plan to store power but since my house is
    all electric - anything that brings down the monthly bill would be worth looking into . I am just trying to figure out how much it would save me ,
    so I can decide it it's a good investment or not . Any links or advice you have would be appreciated . Faye

• insijs
    15 years ago

What company did you buy from online? I'd like to do my own geothermal.

• sniffdog
    15 years ago

Check out the post on the Heating and Air Conditioning forum, serach "TerraSource Geothermal DIY" before you embark on a DIY GT project.

I have a GT system and witnessed just about everything during the install - very glad I had pro's do it. I am very handy but would never ever attempt to DIY one of these unless it was a hobby project for fun or to learn.

There are many variables that must be considered to making sure the design is right for your specific site and house design. Even if you somehow manage to get it to work, plan on doing your own troubleshooting and maintenance.

Sponsored