Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I convert AC condenser to ground source?

Posted by stan_in_pa (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 0:19

We are working on an extreme fixer upper, 130 year old farm house. Installed a new oil furnace and 3 ton central air with a conventional condensing unit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain information and possibly dimensions to properly size a water to freon heat exchanger to replace the freon to air condenser on the present compressor unit?

I suppose that buying one already made is OK too. I'm wired up backwards so that my default inclination is to design and build my own. I can be talked out of it, but there is that satisfaction of knowing you built it with your own hands.

I have welding and machining capabilities. I'll let a professional HVAC tech handle removal and recharge of freon while the exchanger is being installed.

There are three wells on the property, so ground source water shouldn't be a problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I convert AC condenser to ground source?

Hi,
Don't have a clue, but the EcoRenovator blog has a series of posts about their project to do an entire ground source heat pump system from what looks like revamped fridge equipment.

http://ecorenovator.org/series/diy-ground-source-heat-pump/

I'll readily admit up front that I'm not the biggest fan of ground source heat pumps, but would it not gain you more to put all this effort into improving the thermal envelope (insulating, sealing, windows, ...)? Just a thought.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY heat pump project

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here