Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulate geothermal supply/return water lines?

Posted by jscozz (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 21:56

My two geothermal units (basement and attic) were installed without any insulation on the water lines to and from the units. 3/4 copper in the basement and 3/4 poly (hard plastic tubing) to the attic.

I have just been running the units for the first time this week... and when in heat mode, the return line is sweating and dripping like crazy, since the return water is pretty cold and lower than the dew point. I can wrap these in pipe insulation and I assume that will keep the moist basement air from contacting the cold surface and should solve the problem there... my concern in the walls of the 1st and 2nd floor where the tubing runs to and from the attic unit. It is also not insulated and I am concerned that it will be sweating in the wall and causing mold problems. My trim has not been installed yet so now is my last chance to remove drywall and insulate the pipes before trim and paint are complete.

Does anyone else on here have a system in the attic? Were your supply/return water lines insulated all the way up to it?

BTW. My attic is in my building envelope (closed cell foam in the rafters)... so I am not concerned about freezing... only about sweating and moisture in the walls and attic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulate geothermal supply/return water lines?

Re: Jeff

Insulate all your pipes with Armaflex insulation tubing.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: ArmaFlex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here