Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preventing heating pipes from freezing when using woodstove

Posted by Dpett (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 21:41

I have a hot water heating pipe that runs through my garage against the ceiling. It has insulation on it and I never had a freezing problem. But this year with the new woodstove, I am concerned about it freezing due to not using the Oil boiler as much. Does anyone know if heat tapes could be used on a heating pipe, or just for water supply. Is there a pipe thermostat that I could put on the pipe to kick the heat on if the pipe reaches 35 deg?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preventing heating pipes from freezing when using woodstove

You may want to try this question at the heating and cooling forum.

o
RE: Preventing heating pipes from freezing when using woodstove

Dpett ,, you are wise to be concerned. I ran into this problem some years ago. The builder had not insulated the FHA heating pipe that was running through the garage ceiling to the other bedrooms. With my stove providing nearly all the heating of the house that pipe just got colder and colder. In the morning after the stove had gone out I turn on the furnace and ,,,, nothing , no heat at all. I called my father-in-law , a plumber who knew what the problem was right a way. He had me cut a hole in the garage ceiling and put a hair dry into the cavity set to HI. That thawed out the frozen pipes but the damage had already been done. The pipe had split in two places. The entire ceiling area next to the pipe had to be torn down, pipes insulated to the max and ceiling patched. Now we have the furnace set to go on when the house temps get below 68* rather than 60* and have not had a problem since.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here