Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Absorption Refrigerators

Posted by kentuck_8b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 20:17

Does anyone have any experience using an absorption refrigerator?

I'm looking for a refrigeration source to use off-grid, preferably with solar panels.

Any users or literature is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Absorption Refrigerators

RV units are mostly absorbtion. Most are dual gas/120VAC (used to be some that ran on 12VDC but hard to find now). Some for larger motorhomes are quite big (and pricy). I think it would be easy to convert one of the new ones to run on 120VDC by removing the AC electronics and connecting a solar array directly to the heating element. Just be sure you don't connect too many panels in series to exceed 120VDC on a sunny day. Maybe use a battery (with solar charger) and a small 110VAC inverter with the original electronics to allow auto switching between gas and DC solar or just a relay that drops out when the solar array isn't delivering enough voltage to heat the fridge (and switch to gas). Let us know if you try that and how it works.

o
RE: Absorption Refrigerators

Thanks Gary. I already have off-grid solar power, although it is a very small unit.

24V DC converted to 110VAC. I am looking for a very low watt/amp frig so that I won't drain the batteries in one night.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here