Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
window efficiency

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 19:40

watched a home show this weekend. they walked thru replacing windows on a 20yr old house. house has 6" insulated walls FYI. probably built to fairly recent standards. tech said new windows would lower heat bill by 40% so they would pay for themselves in 2/1-2 years. if heat bill is 1000/yr and 15 new windows is 15k installed, how does that math add up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: window efficiency

It doesn't.

Ask this question in the windows forum and you will should get some interesting answers from some very professional and knowledgeable window folks.

o

sorry. i thought it would be an energy question. i see forums for heating, windows, remodeling, and so on. figured most home energy folks would know a lot about ways to improve house energy use thru improvements like better windows.

o

When I had a local window company come out for an estimate I was ready with last winter heating gas bills($800 for November thru April)

Salesperson said new windows will save 40%. I pulled out gas bills from folder and showed I spent $800 last winter season. Providing we keep the thermostat at 68 and have a similar winter season I asked if he could guaranty this seasons bills would be no more than $480.

His short answer was they can't make that kind of guaranty but can only suggest the savings.

o

you can not, its impossible. The difference bewteen a standard low E double pane and say a triple pane filled window is just a couple R, and the u is anywhere from .05-.08 lower. It really comes down then to air infiltration and the install. %5-10 savings is even a big stretch. Also keep in mind they compare those savings to houses that keep the t stats at 90 and have all the windows open ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here