Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moggett

AC Mister 'Living with Ed'

moggett
16 years ago

I was watching 'Living with Ed' and they had a product that sits on top of your AC unit and when the unit turns on the coils are sprayed keeping them from getting too hot and having the AC work harder and longer saving 30% on AC bills.

I am thinking of trying it out....does anyone have this product?

Here is the link to the web-page

Here is a link that might be useful: cool'n'save

Comments (2)

• bob_brown
    16 years ago

I ran an experiment for many years with just 1 nozzle. It made the Condenser cycle normally in the hottest weather. The up side is the system works as specified on a hot day. The downside is the coils get cr*p on them. Best estimate was Fluoride in my town outside of Dallas. The condenser has lasted without problems for 23 years. The coil is almost solid coated, so once used, you need to continue forever. From the picture you will need to replace the nozzles multiple times a year. Find better nozzles. The polyphosphate filter needs to be changed every year?? I have never heard of polyphosphate. Hexametaphospate is what is used to reduce scale buildup. This is what Calgon and other water treatment companyÂs use.

The claim of 6 cents per day, is kinda low. Depending on the gallons per hour, my nozzle cost about $10.00 per month 13 years ago. The water cost is negliable. The savings on system repairs should offset this cost. The real savings is in the run time of the system. ASHRE says a motor/compressor should only run for 6 minutes per 30 minutes, to maintain efficiencies. Heat that motor to 100f degrees, and the motor will loose a lot of efficiency if it runs too long. The extra cooling will help to keep the run time within reason.

By definition 13 SEER is 13 SEER, no matter what is done. Since the SEER tests are bogus, the actual EER is unimportant for a SEER rating. If you try to equate the savings to SEER, it will never compute, but the savings in EER will be dramatic.

In many areas, using a water cooled coil is more efficient than a geo system for cooling.

• mikeylikesitnow
    13 years ago

I didn't like the idea of spraying directly on the condenser. Basically what I did was put an evaporative cooler box around my condenser. No buildup on the condenser, the evaporative cooler comes with a sacrificial anode that prevents corrosion and water usage is much less because the water is recirculated. The only water loss is through evaporation. If you live near Phoenix there are several "swamp cooler" junk yards you can build one from.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus