Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Fiberglass Insulation: How Do I Cover the Attic?

chueh
13 years ago

I laid a few Johns Manville R-25 insulation in the attic. Now I have no idea how to cover the rest, because the attic is not leveled with too many hinderences.

In picture L (left corner of the house), that's where I laid the R-25 there. However, I did not go further, because I don't see any wooden plank underneath the loose insulation beyond where I stopped. I am afraid to go further (I might poke a hole in the ceiling if I step further).

In picture F (behind the furnace), there is no way I can pass thru the area where the huge furnace is. I was standing right in front the furnace where there is the wooden plank.

In picture M (middle section of house), again, I don't see any wooden plank underneath the loose insulation. It's too much up and down, so would R-25 going to work? First thing I need to solve is: how am I going to go there?

The picture below is a close up for picture M

Please advice me:

1. how I need to proceed, such as a safe way to step on the "floor" of the attic, for I don't see the wooden plank "floor" anywhere else, except the very one I walk in the attic.

2. Is R-25 good for what I do? The loose insulation is only about a few inches deep. I guess that's why my utility bill is so high. I am a non-handy type person. I cannot BLOW the LOOSE insulation without any equipment or injure myself....

Thank you

Comments (3)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012