Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raising Attic Floor for More Insulation

Posted by mcgeebc (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 12:53

My attic is currently floored with 1" boards. When I bought the house two years ago, there was R-19 fiberglass batts stapled between the rafters. Since the attic is also vented, I realized it wasn't doing much good, so I took the insulation down and layed it on the floor.

My heating/cooling costs are still through the roof, so I am planning to increase the insulation in my attic. I am in Cleveland where code is R-38, so I would like to double it at the least. My attic is also very easy to access for storage purposes, so I would like to keep at least a portion of the attic floored.

My plan is to pull up the current flooring and run 2X8's perpendicular to the floor joists, nailing them in to the rafters. That would give me a total cavity of 14" to reuse my exsisting fiberglass batts and blow in cellulose to top it off. On top of the new 2X8's, I'll screw in a new plywood floor.

Does anyone see an issue with this? I've done some searching online and haven't seen a case of anyone doing this. It seems safe, but my fear is that I can do damage to the structure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raising Attic Floor for More Insulation

Other than it being quite a bit of work to pull out the boards, install the new supports and then reinstall the board, it seems OK to me.

I'd be careful when banging away on the floor boards and installing the supports to not use too much gusto as you might loosen up the nailing on the ceiling sheetrock?

You might consider just leaving the current boards where they are and install a new raised floor above them with new plywood or boards for the raised floor. Then blow the cellulose between the two floors. This just saves the work of pulling out the old boards, but it requires more material and expense.

Be sure to seal up any wiring, plumbing, light fixture, ... penetrations from the living space tot he attic before you add more insulation -- exfiltration of warm air up into the attic from the living space can be a big heat loss.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here