Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_dhrt

Solar Space / Air Heating

dan_dhrt
15 years ago

I learned about these devices on Solar Gary's web site last winter.

Well, today I took the plunge. I went ahead and ordered this device which uses the sun's rays to heat air cirulcated from inside the house / building and return it back to the house / building.

We are stoked :-). We'll see how much it actually reduces our home heating bills this winter once we install it on our south facing wall. There is a 5 week back order from the vendor from whom we made the purchase so it will be not until late October before we install it.

I just had to tell someone.

Dan

Comments (4)

• greif
    15 years ago

great... I hope it works great for you. What brand did you get?

• dan_dhrt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi greif,

We went with the model from Cansolair. It cost a bit less than the twin pack from the other company we were looking at yet per the article from the link on Solar Gary's site it puts out the same amount of BTUs as the twin pack of the othe company.

And, it's made from recycled soda cans ... can't get any more environmentally friendly than that!

Our fixed price natural gas contract expires in 15 months and already to get the same 5 year fixed price contract they are charing 20% more than what we are currently paying, so we know our heating bills will be going up.

We'll see how much this helps.
    Dan

• greif
    15 years ago

do you mind if i ask how much it costs?

do you have dealer in your area or did you just order from factory.

I wanted to build one like that this fall but we don't go thruogh that many soda cans

• dan_dhrt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi grief,

The sales manager supports his dealers, no question about that.

So, he made me go through the dealer who gave me the estimate last spring ... even though the price has increased since I received the quote back then. He even mentioned to me that they are looking for additional dealers / installers (I forget the word he used) so if there is none in your area perhaps it could be an opportunity for you?

After a week of not hearing back from the dealer, the sales manager has had me order direct and I will be getting the assistance of the person who installed our kitchen and fixed our shower leak to do much of the installation (with me being his assistant.

These things are not cheap. This one was $2,695 plus taxes, shipping & creating. As I said, not cheap. I even called and spoke to the company president who also gave me that price on the phone a couple of weeks ago. Jim sounded like a very nice guy.

I saw it in person last spring and again the prior fall and it really is amazing.

The link below is to the company's page on their web site where they can arrange to put you in contact with the dealer closest to you and if none they will likely sell it to you direct. Even if you plan to build one this fall it still might be worth getting in touch with a dealer for more information (I'm learning as I go on this one).

I hope that helps.

Dan

PS. If you do fill out the Dealer Listing page, feel free to enter in the comments section that 'Dan sent ya'; the general sales manager Blair will get a chuckle. Nice guy, good sense of humor, just flat out busy right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cansolair Dealer Listing

Sponsored