Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much can we do without much $ up front?

Posted by kalucapike (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 04 at 19:32

I'm very interested in saving energy, and we try to do our best in our home. We do basic things, like use fluorescent bulbs in many lights, turn off lights behind us, keep the heat low, made windows and doors more airtight, etc. Any other ideas for saving energy?

Incidently, we will only be here for a couple of more years and don't have a lot of expendable $, so investing in solar panels and such won't work right now. (Someday we'd love to build a small home off the grid, but that's very much in the dream stages.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much can we do without much $ up front?

I've been looking at the same thing here the past few weeks.

One thing that caught my eye was solar air heaters. They are glass over a dark surface metallic, an place for air to circulate and a warm and cold vent.

I thought perhaps the same thing could be done with window coverings. ( curtains and shades )

A black layer toward the glass, a metallic layer then a light layer inside toward the living space.

You can find NASA space blankets, for the metallic fabic for about $2 in the sports dept of most dept. stores. The other materials can be purchased easily.

I'm trying it now. I put white cotton roman shades in the master bedroom today and put a metallic layer between the fabric folds. Next I'll put a black layer on the outside that I can remove in the spring.

Below is the site that gave me the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear dome solar space heaters

o

People disagree about the following but I have done this for many years: put tie a recyled nylon hose on the end of your dryer hose and run it into your house (if you don't have humidity problems indoors). We always had a dry house in the winter with electric heat.

Insulate your outlets on outer walls.

Hang pretty quilts on the walls of outer walls (like artwork, but they insulate).

If you don't have ceiling fans, consider putting small fans (the ones taken out of computers work great for this) on top of tall furniture to recirculate the heat that stays at the ceiling.

o

Thanks for all the great ideas, prettyphysicslady and midtnmama.

o

"...tie a recyled nylon hose on the end of your dryer hose and run it into your house"

Might be tolerable with an electric dryer. Could be deadly with a gas dryer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here