Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting a Tin Roof

Posted by jojawa (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 27, 06 at 18:02

Can I paint a tin roof without a big expense and it last a reasonable amount of time? And what kinds of paint are best for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting a Tin Roof

Where do you live? I lived for a short while in Virginia, where metal roofs are common. There you can find firms which specialize in metal roof maintenance and painting in the phone book. I don't know what they paint with, but they produce some strikingly attractive colors and combinations which seem to last for many years.

In northern and midwest states, where asphalt shingles are the standard, roofers don't seem to know what to do with metal roofs. They usually brush on some aluminized mobile home roof coating, which I guess is OK.

I notice that a web search for "roof paint" turns up quite a few hits. If it were my roof, that's where I'd probably start.

o

This company has pretty good stuff for walls and Roofs seems their specialty
& will ship 5 gal pails & their people will actually talk to you and make good knowledgeable recomendations.
They have the standard paints and high reflective - high emmittance coatings.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.natcoat.net/

o

I bet you don't have a tin roof. It's probably aluminum or galvanized iron based sheet metal (Low Carbon Steel). Aluminum will not need painting. The life of the sheet metal roofing can be extended with finishes compatible with its coating.

o

Try posting the question on the Paint Forum here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here