Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground source heat pumps

Posted by tonyzzztony (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 05 at 17:56

I've been looking at the prices of GSHP (Water to water), they are 2-3 times more expensive than the regular heat pumps same size. I'm not an expert but I think a GSHP is just a heat pump with two heat exchangers.. If anyone knows of a cheaper source of GSHP please post it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground source heat pumps

From what Ive seen, the quality of components and construction IS better in some GSHPs.
The main reason for the high cost of the system is the drilling. This can be reduced by some 40% by choosing a DX GSHP.

Please see other posts relating to GSHPs in this and the HVAC forum.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: how-efficient-is-it-magazine.com

o

SR,

Do you have any information on re-sizing you hydronic radiators? How much bigger should they be? I'm assuming if the original delt T is 60C and for GSHP we're looking at a delta T of 20C the area would have to be 3 times larger? Do you have any advice or web links?

I just bought a house (circa 1930) in MTL with an Oil Furnace and will be replacing the system with a DX GSHP in the spring. (No fund to instal right earlier) If I put in radiant floor heating, it would have to be installed from the basement under the hardwood flooring and it's not clear how effective that would be.

Keeping with the original post, retrofitting your existing system will definitely increase the costs.

o

Kungfu: I do not recall seeing that info on the web. However, since were in the same city, if you e-mail me directly with your tel.#, perhaps I can be of help to put you on the right track. Mention Geothermal as the subject so as to not get dumped in trash.

SR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here