Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydro power in Sneedville TN

Posted by homesteader_wanna_be (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 16:04

Hi all,
We are looking to move to the Sneedville TN area. I have researched hydro power on line. I would like to know if it is possible to power your home this way in northeastern TN. We were just north of Chattanooga last weekend. They said most of their creeks were dried up. Drove up to Sneedville and LOVED IT! DH and I are serious about moving up there. Want to be homesteaders and live off the land.

Any ideas how many acers we should have minimum? What type of animals are easiest? Tell me everything!!!

Thank you for your help.
Shawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydro power in Sneedville TN

You might do some nosing around Home Power's website. They've published quite a few articles on small-scale hydro in the past.

Countryside Magazine has some kind of out-there stuff now and then, but they do seem to provide good info for the beginning homesteader. I seem to recall seeing pieces that discussed how to choose a place to set up shop.

Hope this helps.

o

Do a lot of research and talk to the state Dept of Natural Resources. In most places you can't just dam a stream because you own the land. All the people, fish and endangered salamanders downstream also have rights. You also need to buy a stream with sufficient year-round head and flow.

As many acres as you can afford

Rabbits and Chickens, then maybe cows. Cows stay in fences better than goats.

o

Hi-don't know much about hydro power but I would suggest contacting TVA (TN Valley Authority) for any regulations as they are pretty much in charge of most water sources in this area. Don't know where you're from, but Sneedville can get pretty darn isolated in the winter due to being surrounded by mountains. Its beautiful though. I know several people who live there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here