Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rollinridge

More on Pellet Stoves - which one to choose

rollinridge
17 years ago

Hi all,

Found out yesterday that our fireplace chimney is totally shot. (Apparently a couple of big chimney fires previous to us buying the house). We've been using the fireplace insert (wood burning) for the past 6 yrs (came with the house). I had the bright idea of taking it out to see a "real fire" (I know). So we had chimney sweep come to inspect and clean. He never got to the "clean" part. I guess we're really lucky nothing caught fire before. So the alternatives he gave us:

1. rebuild the fireplace $6k - not doing that

2. fix up old insert and put it back in with a stainless steel pipe - about $2k - but we'd still have the old insert

3. get a pellet stove. more efficient. new. and only needs a 3-4 inch stainless pipe.

So-I don't anything about pellet stoves. I guess we're looking at an insert and not a free standing one in the opening?

What brands are good ones out there? i.e. easy to use, little maintenance etc.

Any one have any favorites?

Any advice? (I'll take any and all).

BTW - this is for a 1500 sq ft ranch style house to be used as secondary heating.

THANKS!

RA

Comments (14)

• rjoh878646
    17 years ago

I have a Quadra-Fire and really like it. Old house we installed a Avalon, but I like this one better. The Quadra-fire can burn 50/50 corn and pellets.
    With all the ethanol plants going in I expect corn prices to go up in the future. In ohio alone they are building two. That will eat up the surplus corn.

• scryn
    17 years ago

pellot prices are 2x the price as last year. they used to be about 2 bucks for fourty pound bag. Now they are 5 bucks. I called about a ton and that will be 250 bucks. At the beginning of last winter they were asking 180.
    Luckily I think we have enough from last year to last through this winter. Then hopefully stores will be trying to sell their unsold stock for a cheaper price.

We were thinking about buying a second stove last winter, and now I am thinking about getting an old fashioned wood stove. We cut trees this past month and in about 2 hours all the wood was gone. People coming home from work were stopping and grabbing it and putting it in their cars. Kinda made me wish we could use it ourselves!

Whenever there was a power outage my mom used to cook meals on her wood stove also. Our pellot stove needs power. We have no way to heat our house if we lose power.

-renee

• rjoh878646
    17 years ago

Small generator and an extension cord

• richgvt
    17 years ago

I have a harman pellet stove. They are one of the best. I bought 5 tons to heat 2,500 sq ft house in vermont. costs me about half as much as oil. Harmans can go through about a ton of pellets before they need cleaning. I really like it. they also make a coal or corn stove. draw back with the pellet stove is the fan does make noise. The new XXV model is quieter. good luck

• rollinridge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We've decided to try the new Quad Mt Vernon insert. Of course, since it's a brand spanking new revamped model it's on backorder. But that's ok (for now-we're not into the COLD COLD part of winter where I'll really be crying the blues). I think what sold us was the multi-fuel option. We were definately looking for something pellet/corn adaptable and this one seems to burn it all. (Since my DH sells pigeon feed if we got really desperate we could burn his invetory). Was told Jan 2007 but then the store manager says mid November. Time will tell.
    Thanks
    RA

• ljd826
    17 years ago

We have a Harman. And we love it. Paid 750.00 for corn last year. Ours will burn pellets to. I just read 7 new pellet mills are coming on line, so pellets should go back down. And of course we use corn when thats cheaper. I like having a choice. Do MT. Vernon's have a agitator?

• jasperhobbs
    17 years ago

Harman pretty much builds the top of the line stoves. I have an older CountryFlame pellet stove which works fine but next one I buy will be a Harman.

My suggestion is buy a stove that burns both wood pellets or Corn. Pellets are handy since they come in 40LB bags and no mice worries. Corn is trickier with moisture content and attraction of mice.

A must with a stove is an Ash Vacuum, makes clean up a snap and a leaf blower with vacuum option to suck out the ashes from the chimney pipe.

• jeremy_holt
    17 years ago

Don't Buy a Harman pellet stove. I Have a Harman and it gives great heat. But it is very unreliable. My Harman is four years old and I've replaced two control boards. Harman did cover the cost of the boards that were bad. But on both I had to wait to get them. So I paid cash out of pocket to have a spare. Yes, got a surge protector from my dealer when I bought the stove. And you should too.

It gets better!!! As I write this my stove has been down for two weeks. Sat, Dec.30 It needs an Exhaust fan. Easy enough. I take the old one out, call my dealer he says come on down. 30 miles one way. "Sorry, after all I don't have that part, IÂll order it call me in about a week." Come on, itÂs winter in Maine. I said order it, I had no choice. One week goes by and stills no part. Lucky that week was warmer than usual.
    But this week is cold I need that part. Fri., Jan. 12 I call the dealer and he says I got your part yesterday. "I'll be right down", I say. I get there and he open his shipment up and no fan. 60 miles round trip. 120 miles of driving still no part. I have no idea when I'll get it.

Wait!!! Still better news. Sat. Jan. 13 the pipes froze and are now leaking. Not directly HarmanÂs fault but it would not have happened if the stove was working. But my bad for relying on the Harman for the only source of heat in that area.

Stop whining. Ok I was whining a little bit. So how about:

Facts:
    1. Harman wonÂt sell parts direct. You try before you buy at www.harmanstoves.com
    2. I could not find an efficient way to contact the Harman company directly with my problem on their web site. It is almost clear they don't want to be bothered. Again, I suggest you try before you drop a few thousand on one of their stoves.

In their Comments section about their website, I did recommend that they offer parts online with overnight shipping. Save a lot of driving around, which is more green friendly.

I doubt they will take my advice. It doesn't really matter whether they do or not. In my opinion they make junk any way
    As Jim Cramer would sayÂÂ.. don't buy! don't buy! don't buy!!!!

• tbertino
    17 years ago

Jeremy,

I think you need to rethink your post. It sounds like the real issue is the dealer, not the stove.

Has your stove worked flawlessly? No. I don't thing anyone expects every stove to work for 10 years without a problem. Do you expect that when you buy a car?

The bigger question is were these things covered by the manufacturer? As it appears based on your post, the answer is yes! If you had bought another brand of pellet stove from this dealer, not only would you have to deal with their crappy customer service, you'd have to pay for the parts and labor. And, one other thing about the dealer....why are YOU going to THEM? If the stove is still under warranty as it sounds like it is, shouldn't THEY be coming out to fix it?

If I were you, I would be contacting Harman to complain about the dealer. They only sell through authorized dealers who are supposed to be honoring the warranty on Harman stoves and providing at least a speck of customer service.

From what I've read, most owners of Harman pellet stoves love them. And in general thinking, they seem to be considered the best on the market.

And, yes, for anyone researching pellet stoves, I wouldn't recommend depending on any pellet stove to be the only source of heat in the house or one area of the house, especially in a very cold weather climate like Maine. Mostly because there isn't emergency service like with most central heating.

• jasperhobbs
    17 years ago

Harman is about the best wood pellet stove on the market, sounds like you got a lemon

• nylasmom
    16 years ago

I have 2 harmon p61-a's and couldn't be happier. Three years ago my oil cost me $3,000 to heat for the season. The following year I paid $800. with my 2 pellet stoves.This year I didn't even have to buy more pellets because I still have 2 ton of pellets left to use.

• freddie_14
    16 years ago

I'm torn between two brands/models of pellet stoves. I really like the Harman Accentra and the Quadra Fire Castile.

Both the Quad Mt. Vernon and Harman XXV are way to powerful for my home.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Accentra vs. Quadra Fire?

I feel the Castile does not produce as much heat as the Accentra and is not as efficient. My house is a little over 1800 sq.ft. Both models claim to heat 1500 sq. Feet.

• friedwardt
    15 years ago

If you're looking for an ethanol fireplace (insert), please have a look at http://opdecodesign.googlepages.com

• kenzmadie
    15 years ago

We just bought a Lopi Leyden. We don't know if we love it or not yet because we can't find anyone that has pellets. Does anyone recommend a particular brand of pellet? Thanks

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus