Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heating with thermal solar

Posted by wolfgangjonny (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 04 at 1:37

Any opinions on a glycol system vs. a drain-back for thermal solar? What are the major pros & cons of each? I'm considering one of these two applications because we do get the rare occasional hard freeze. This will be used for heating radiant floors and DHW with boiler back-up in N. California.
If nothing here, anyone know of a good solar hot water forum or message boards?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heating with thermal solar

Can't suggest anything specifically; but for long-term reliability passive thermo-siphon can't be beat for simplicity and having only a single moving part. You can make all kinds of fancy stuff with all kinds of controls and valves and pumps etc . . . . just more stuff to go wrong. I've looked at some various systems; they seem so overly complicated and yet don't seem to offer anything additional over very simple systems . . .

There was a collector called the Copper Cricket years ago that seemed so outstanding to me. Used an alcohol mix in a system which you pulled a small vacuum on . . . makes the mix boil at a lower temp. Phase change takes more heat than just heating the liquid. Anyway; it also is an "anti-freeze" which requires NO draining. Self-regulates as well; can be used way up north where it gets cold. One and only one "moving" part . . .. a one-way check valve to run the entire system. If you are interested e-mail me; I can send you a copy of the brochure that I have; it's old but the principles have not changed and it gives you some insight of how effective yet simple a good design can be . . . easily adaptable to DHW or radiant heat. Am considering building my own version of one as I too have radiant heat . . . good luck . . .

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here