Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pschuster_gw

WaterFurnace 5 or 7? ClimateMaster?

pschuster
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for all the great posts in this forum.
We have decided to go geothermal. I have 2 quotes, both about the same amount:
1. ClimateMaster Tranquility 30
2. WaterFurnace Series 5.

I know many posts say the contractor is more impt than the equipment, but I think both my contractors have about the same amount of experience/expertise. So was thinking I should go with the better equipment. Have read that WF has some issues with formicary corrosion, but they seem to be industry leaders. I haven't heard as much about Climatemaster.

Also, haven't checked into how much more it would cost, but do you think the 41 EER (!!!) makes it worth it to go to the WaterFurnace Series 7? Has anyone recently decided between the Series 5 & Series 7 & wants to share thoughts?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
T

Comments (6)

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

I would go with the most efficient system, which in this case would be the Waterfurnace Series 7. I would want to know if the flow center will be variable speed as well and if so how will it maintain âÂÂturbulent flowâ at the reduced speeds.

Also note that the published efficiency specs will not be met without a properly designed, installed and commissioned ground loop. EVERY detail is important!

Cost is dependent not only on equipment but size of HDPE pipe, depth of borehole, number of boreholes, parallel or series configuration of boreholes, indoor or buried headers, type of header, on and on and on.

Mistakes in the ground are very expensive to repair.

DonâÂÂt assume anything; become your own expert!

IâÂÂm sure youâÂÂll love your geo system.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: International Ground Source Heat Pump Association at Oklahoma State University

• pschuster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks fsq4cw. Glad to hear that it's the ground installation that matters most. I have an IGSHPA-certified well driller who will install the loops. Not feeling quite as confidant about the contractors selling the equipment, so I'm trying to work a lot of it out myself.

Why don't you think anyone ever mentioned Direct Exchange (no wells, copper piping, etc.) to me? This forum was the 1st place I had even heard of it. Seems like it might be most efficient?
    Thanks again!
    T

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Very few installers are familiar with proper DX installation. At this point I would not advise installing DX even though I know it can work very well. We have a Nordic DX-45 Direct Exchange geothermal heat pump that is 10 years old, has never needed a service call and has never broken down.

As great as this system has been if I were to do it over again today I would install the Waterfurnace Series 7 all variable speed. This type of conventional ground loop (liquid) will be easier to diagnose and deal with if there is a problem. I would install the headers within the mechanical room for the same reason.

Shana Tova (if thatâÂÂs in order)

SR

• pschuster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fsq4cw, just wanted to say thanks once again. You've been super helpful here, and in your many posts on other threads that have taught me much about geothermal. Checking the price difference on the WaterFurnace 7 vs 5 now. Do you think this issue of "formicary corrosion" of the coil, causing refrigerant to leak, is specifically a WaterFurnace problem? or do they all have this potential problem?
    Thanks again.
    T

• TinaD2014
    10 years ago

We are also looking at Waterfurnace series 5 vs series 7 and curious whether you decided to go with the 7. We have a not-quite 10 year old single-stage climate master that has been nothing but trouble (pumps, coil, condenser) so are looking to replace it.

Sponsored