Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian1_gw

replacement wood stove

brian1
18 years ago

I am currently looking to replace an existing wood stove. From what I understand it is considered a franklin stove and is very inefficiant. Around 15%. Even less when the amount of combustion air is taken out of the house. One of the main reasons why I am replacing it is that I had a chimeny fire this spring and the company that inspected the chimeney after the fire said I should have the chimeny replaced. I thought I would replace the stove with a more effeciant one.

It was recommended from a very well known local store that specilizes in wood stoves that I puchase the Jotul f 500 Oslo cast iron stove. This stove can heat up to 2100 sq. feet. The stove wood be located in a @ 14 x 25 sq. foot room with a @ 16FT cathederal ceiling. Eventually we would also like to put a 3 season room where the screen porch is now off the room. The house is a 2100 sq. ft. ranch but the room is located at one end of the house thru a 10 ft hallway. I don't beleive the heat would go that far unassisted.

My questions are:

1. Is this stove too big for the room?

2. Is this a good stove?

3. Does the chimney have to go straight up? The current one does but the new stove will have to sit back farther. And I would like to use the current hole.

Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

And yes, I will be more deligent about chimeny cleaning.

Comments (2)

• scryn
    18 years ago

Have you looked into wood pellot stoves? We use one to heat our 1800 sq ft house. they are VERY efficient and we LOVE ours. Ours vents out the side of our house through a pipe and doesn't need a chimney. We clean the short pipe every year by ourselves.
    Also the stove feeds itself! So you won't have to wake up in the morning freezing anymore.

things you may have to consider regardless of the type of stove you buy:
    do you have fans for your room? the heat will rise up to the top of your cathedral ceiling if you don't have fans to push it down. You will be chilly if you don't push that hot air to your level. We can successfully heat our downstairs room, and those rooms connected to the room with the stove however our stove has a fan that pushes the air out at a good speed.
    I don't think it would heat the adjacent rooms well with out the fan. I think you would need fans to assist the hot air down the hall.

I can't really be much of help for your other concerns.
    I would just really suggest looking at a pellot stove before purchasing a new wood stove. They are more efficient. Also people swear by corn stoves also.
    -renee

• joyfulguy
    18 years ago

Quite a few folks figured that heating with corn (or wheat or rye) was cheaper than any other kind of heat except wood that you cut yourself.

And that was last year.

Anybody want to speculate on what may happen, this winter?

I think that it might be a good idea to order a wheat/rye/corn-fired heater as soon as possible, as I expect that there's a substantially higher demand than last year.

My friend, after selling a couple of other brands over fifteen years ago, said that he could build a better one. I sold one of the other brands for a couple of years, about 15 years ago.

He developed, patented and started building one that had several innovative ideas (later copied by others) about fifteen years ago.

There are quite a number of them in use now and there have been few problems or complaints from the users.

Not only that - they are built to last, of heavier gauge steel than many, so should continue to operate well after a number of others have warped out of shape, leaked gases/smoke and been consigned to the scrap heap.

When Alex did something - he did it right.

Good wishes for all of the hot air that you need this winter. If you need any more - just ask me.

joyful guy

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County