Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ridgevent/Dormer vs. Dormer/Dormer Pairs

Posted by cebury (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 16:40

I don't have soffits nor no gables anywhere, there is stucco everywhere in the typical spots.

I'm having roof replaced and the roofer only wants to use Ridge Vents. He either wants to tear out the stucco and put in soffits (not my idea) but after pushing will "settle" on smaller (O'Hagen?) vents at the base for input.

Aren't the differences negligible between a) pairs of dormers at base+top vs. b) ridge vent + lower dormers. Is there some magic w/the ridge vent, because it's a few inches higher than a high-mounted dormer, that makes it much better?

I assumed calculating the total sq.in ventilation that each solution provides is comparing apples-apples.

I'm also having solar installed, so I know dormers take up valuable space where I could place panels. That is certainly an advantage to ridge/soffit implementations. The other would be aesthetics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ridgevent/Dormer vs. Dormer/Dormer Pairs

In my neighborhood, (hot and humid) attic venting is now considered a bad thing. Where do you live?

o

Why would attic ventilation be considered a bad thing?

o

It does not make a lot of sense in a hot, humid climate with air conditioning. It may be true for even less specialized conditions (ie. hot not humid). This is especially true if the AC equipment is in the attic. A second big reason is that it is often a lot easer to seal at the roof line than it is to seal between the attic and the living space. (There are a lot of holes between the attic and the living space, can lights, holes for cables and pipes and poorly-sealed construction. They are there originally and people don't hesitate to add holes and not seal them. Nobody will complain if the cable installer puts a few holes between the attic and living space. Everyone will complain if the cable installer puts a hole in the roof. Read on:

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/reports/rr-0301-unvented-roof-summary-article

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here