Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimi72_gw

Question about Cross Ventilation

mimi72
11 years ago

Our bedroom is south facing, which is where our breeze comes out of. There is a bank of 3 double hung windows facing south, and two separated double hungs facing west. The room is connected by a standard size door (always open) to the master bath, which has two large 40 x 40" pictures windows at right angles to each other facing west and north which are inoperable.

I want to maximize north/south cross ventilation in the bed/bath by replacing the bath windows with ones that open. Given the size of the windows, my options are Marvin ultimate awnings (open 11.5") and Marvin Tilt and Turn Hopper widows, which will open up at the top and bottom and also I think hinge on the side as well (not quite sure how those work but it seems they open up a lot more).

The cost of the awnings is about $1200 less; for the purposes of creating cross ventilation do you think the opening is sufficient? My concern is that the principle of cross vent says the inlet (wind side) is supposed to be smaller than the outlet (leeward) window, and the awning opening would be smaller than the opening from the double hungs, so the inlet would be bigger than the outlet. Not sure how much it matters. Since there's a wall with only a door opening between the bedroom and bath anyway will I even get much cross vent?

Thanks for any direction here.

Comments (3)

Sponsored