Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building on an old stone foundation?

Posted by amacalle (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 12:01

Back my husband was a 12 year old kid, playing with fireworks, he accidentally set fire the rundown and unoccupied but historic Cape home that had been in his family for generations, and burnt it to the ground. Since then it has been his, well only, goal in life to rebuild a house on the old stone foundation. We're now in the process of getting money together and doing all the research we can to begin building within the next year. My question is about the foundation- it still appear very solid but with some cracked mortar that will need to be replace, and I havent see any standing water pooling in it. It is about 24x36 ft and located in downeast Maine. We want our home to be efficient to heat and was wondering if anyone had any advice on insulating or knew of any recommended website or books for us. Budget is definitely a concern too. I really appreciate any opinions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building on an old stone foundation?

Regarding waterproofing the foundation, I recommend installing the Delta-MS membrane. It’s the ‘Gold Standard’ for foundation waterproofing when properly installed with a perimeter or ‘French’ drain.

No need to worry about foundation cracks after this is installed unless they’re structural. There should be many You-Tube videos related to this product.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta-MS Membrane

o
RE: Building on an old stone foundation?

Have someone knowledgeable check it out.

The heat from the fire might have damaged the mortar and made it incapable of supporting a house. it's a common problem in fire-damaged houses - the slab or foundations look OK, but the mortar has lost strength.

If that's the case, you can rebuild with the same stone, or recycle the stone into something else on the property, such as a wall around a patio.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here