Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxandrew

help on existing geothermal heat pump

jaxandrew
17 years ago

I have an existing Ruud 3.5 ton, open loop geothermal heat pump that is now pushing 38 years old. I live in North Florida. The house is about 3000sf.

Although I like the idea of keeping a system that old going, our bills have been creeping up (5000kwh last month!!!) and it seems like we should consider replacing the syatem. I like the idea of the Envision by WaterFurnace .... but have no clue as to the cost. My questions are:

1. As I have an existing well and pump should I select a new system that works with it, or look at a DX? I am inclined to keep the pump if practical, as I suspect that the DX would involve heafty sprinkler/landscape/paver destruction ($$) to put in, although I do have an unused side yard.

2. If I keep the existing well and pump, how can I tell what the correct GPM performance should be to support a new system?

3. If the GPM is not high enough .... do I just swap out the pump to a higher capacity model, or is it more complicated than that?

As an aside, I am replacing all of our lighting with CFL and LED, and installing a 5kw solar electric system.

Andy

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022