Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnc1949_gw

Using old water well for geo-thermal

johnc1949
15 years ago

Hello,

I have a 160', 6" well that I don't use. I needed to have a new well drilled because this well only makes about 1 GPM of water and since the previous owner added a 3-Season porch, the well is located too close to the home to drill deeper or Hydrofrac the well.

Anyway, the well has a static water level of 45' and I am told that the well has about 173 Gallons (1.5 Gallons/Ft) of water storage capacity. Can I use this well to implement a closed-loop geo-thermal heating/cooling system? My thought is that I would only need a circulating pump capable of pumping water from 45ft (head) below the surface since my water level would never change. I am concerned if the water capacity is great enough to cool/heat the liquid adequately? Given the surface area between the earth and the water, will the geo-thermal transferance be adequate to regulate the stored well water? BTW, I live in the Northeast and I am trying to heat/cool a 2800 sq/ft home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just can't handle $5.00/gallon fuel oil prices:)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler