Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photovoltaics on roof idea.

Posted by clg7067 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 04 at 10:37

Hi, you folks seem to know what you're doing and I'm not very well versed on the workings of photovoltaics and quanties of electricity produced, costs, etc. So, I'd like your opinions on these 2 ideas.

My first thought was to put some PV shingles on my roof for the sole purpose of selling the electricity back to the electric company. On sunny days this would effectively lower my electric bill, right. And at the same time provide additional power to use down the grid somewhere?

Then, what if EVERYBODY did this? Would the price of PV come down? Probably. There would be less concern about future increases in electricity demand, and less demand on our natural resources.

The thing I don't know about are lifespan of the shingles and initial cost. Though, as I said above, if everybody did this, I'm sure prices would eventually come down as more factories gear up for production.

Am I being too "Ed Begley Jr." here? Just thinking about ways to lessen our relience on foreign oil. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photovoltaics on roof idea.

That's a good question.
What is the lifespan of these PV shingles.
Regular shingles have a lifespan of 20-30 years.
Then they have to be replaced.
I wouldn't want to put money in PV shingles,
and then have to replace them in 30 years.

Pooh Bear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here