Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
earth tube cooling

Posted by jll0306 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 18, 06 at 9:38

I subscribe to a permaculture forum, and just read an anecdotal story about a man who dug a trench and put in several barrels with the ends cut out. He welded them together, covered the tube with 2 feet of dirt and put a swamp cooler on one end, connected to his house ducts. He runs the cooler without water, but with the pads (to keep critters out) and reports that his rooms are much cooler.

I thought it was a story worth sharing.
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: earth tube cooling

Work much better through forested areas as the sun can heat up the ground effectively. Also keep in mind that condensation inside the tube can be a problem leading to toxic mold.

o

Do you happen to have a link to the article? I'd like to learn more about this.

SolarJohn

o

Solar John, I believe I saw it in the yahoo group called PhxPermaculture. I don't know if I can include the link, but I will try. If not perhaps you can find them.

They are active in the Phoenix area, which probably explains why the person didn't have any mold problems!

Jan

o

Petri dishes waiting to happen.

Virtually everyone I have ever seen has been abandoned and sealed up. Condensation occurs, microbial growth begins.

Only exception might be if you live in the arid southwest.

o

hi there, i'm new to earth cooling tubes. here's my question, if we use a depth deeper than 3m, will the earth tube cooling will still be able to make a differences in the air temperature? in my opinion, we can save cost if we do it vertically instead of horizontally for the pipes...

o

yeah, you could not do that around here, most of the year the water table is no much more than 3-4 foot below grade!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here