Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greif_gw

cool-n-save --- ac misting

greif
15 years ago

well I tried this new product "cool-n-save" which sprays a mist of water on your ac coils when it is running to cool them so they work more efficently, thus saving money. well a good idea, industry has had systems of this type for decades.

Unfortunitly I am disappointed in this product. kind of cheaply made valve which is undersized so it really does not provide much volume, and only 3 nozzles which quickly become clogged with hard water sediment even though there is a hard water filter to suppossidly reduce this.

after 5 weeks of little useage as we do not turn on the ac much the nozzles were completely clogged shut. it took several soaking in bathroom cleaner to clean them out.

they advertize 30% saving on your ac bill... but after using this I really find this hard to believe. if this proct was redesigned to work well I could definitlly see that it could save money.

unfortunity they have only a 30 day return policy so I am stuck and out $99....... i guess they only have a 30 day policy because they know their product is bad

gary

http://www.coolnsave.com/

Comments (10)

• fsq4cw
    15 years ago

You might 'enjoy' reading the thread linked below.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: HA HA HA HA! Check this thing out! Misters for your A/C LOL!

• greif
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sure... now you share that

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

Something that does work is a heat recovery unit on the condensing unit. Provides free hot water and raises the SEER a couple of points. Here's a couple of sites about them....

http://www.trevormartin.com/about.asp

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/11/10104.pdf

• zl700
    15 years ago

Here's where you can download a savings calculator that will have you thinking twice if the heat recovery units for AC condensers are worth it

Here is a link that might be useful: Savings calc

• dan_dhrt
    15 years ago

Shade Tree or exterior solar blinds on your south / east / west facing windows do not involved 'technology' yet are equally or more effective.

Sorry to hear about your experiences.

• spinoff55_pacbell_net
    14 years ago

I just had to react to this post because it is so obviously biased against a product that has worked very well for me.

I got this exact product last year and also had a problem with it about two months later - the valve got stuck. But then I emailed them and they REPLACED it - in 1 week!! So I don't know what the original poster's problem was.

But that's beside the point. My most important comment is that it really worked. In fact, it worked so well that I got one for my brother. We both saw a big reductions in peak electric use in June-July-August. In my case, 20%!

Also, as for that "ha ha" link - the guys at Cool-n-Save sell the thing with a water softener filter. I have not seen any problems and my water is pretty 'hard', if you kno what I mean.

Check out this link to an international conference (IBPSA - http://www.ibpsa.org). Real engineers (not a bunch of buttcracking HVAC guys) tested water mist evaporation works on commercial AC systems - it really works! Here's a direct link to the study results:
    www.ibpsa.org/proceedings/BS2009/BS09_2204_2211.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Engineering Study - IBPSA

• countryboymo
    12 years ago

I am sorry count me out on the cool n save. I get enough accumulated 'gunk' on my coils by the little bit of dirt that blows around when it starts to rain. I wash the coils down a few times a year and wash a fair amount of dirt out. I bet it would be really help that dirt stick with a mister running.

I considered a heat recover unit and compared it to replacing my water heater with a lifetime warranty poly tank marathon which has slightly less heat loss than a standard tank unit but has a lifetime warranty on the tank. It is more cost effective for me to offset ever having to replace the whole water heater again and just replace elements or stat.

If I lived further south than the heat recovery would bring in a nice savings.

• Matthew Underwood
    6 years ago

I bought a coolnsave back in 2011. My brother who owns a hvac servicing company recommended it. I live in Los Angeles CA - get's pretty hot in this city. I worried about the scaling from the water, but my brother eased my mind. And he was right - the little water filter that comes with the kit does the trick. I also have the water supply for the paddle on a timer - only turns on during the hottest times of the day (11 to 3pm). I'm not saving the advertised 30%, but my bro says I'm saving about 17%. Which is way more than enough to pay back the initial cost of investment plus the annual cost of replacing the filter.

• Graham Apolony
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Reading this it is clear that you only get what you pay for.

These systems are very efficient and economical, however they need to be done properly and there is no way it can be done properly for the amount of money they are charging for this one.

To get the benefit that they are quoting (30%) you need to have a high pressure system that fully atomises the water before it is injected into the air flow. When the atomised water (mist or fog) hits the hot airflow, it flash evaporates, extracting the heat from the air and allowing the air conditioner to operate at its maximum efficiency.

Air Conditioner misting systems cost a minimum of 10 times what they are charging for this one and it simply can't be done for that price. The price point makes it an option for commercial installations only as the saving made on a domestic system just wouldn't be worth the cost of installation.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but this happens often when people think they are getting a quality system at a budget price.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations