Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scurto_gw

nano thin solar panels

scurto
15 years ago

I was watching the Green Planet TV station and heard something about the new and coming much smaller nano solar panels. Does anyone know when and where they will be available. I have a earth sheltered home with 3 feet of dirt on the roof and windows on the one wall facing south.I don't need to heat the home but I do use some air conditioning. I am also looking for solar pump for my 8,000 gallon koi pond. Can anyone help me. Seguin, Tx.

Comments (2)

• solargary
    15 years ago

Hi,
    There is an outfit called NanoSolar that has been getting a lot of press on the PV panels they do.
    The CEO says that they could produce panels for a wholesale price of $1 per watt -- well under half current panels.
    He also said that this does not mean they will sell them for these prices. I'm sure you can Google them and get tons of material on them.

These kinds of stores have come along on a regular basis for the past 50 years, and no one has come up with an ultra cheap and efficient PV panel yet. That said, NanoSolar does seem to be a pretty solid outfit and they are making panels now. I think I read that their full output has been sold to supply a large commercial project for quite a while.

I would not expect dramatic price reductions any time soon.

I'm a bit surprised that an earth sheltered house like yours would need much cooling at all. Is it possible that you are getting quite a bit of solar heat gain through the south windows, and that an overhang or screens of some sort to stop the gain would do the trick?

Gary

• scurto
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a parapet wall that extends 2 feet over the south side of the house, so that the winter sun can come in and heat the house and the summer sun does come in too, but I do have some solar screens. I could use more solar screens. The house is 3,000 sq. feet but I can ot handle humitity. It makes it harder to breathe. I do have double pane windows and brick on any part of the house that is not underground.
    The upstairs part of the house is fenced so that you don't walk off the roof. This is where I would like to do solar hot water, and regular solar panels.
    jonelle

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio