Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geo in old brick home

Posted by thesilverback (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:52

Background: we put in geo last year and love it. 2100 sq. ft., well insulated, ne Ohio. My dad wants to put in geo. his house, however, is a brick house that is over 200 years old. Stone wall basement, dirt floor, crawl spaces under half the house. Solid brick walls. Currently a propane, forced air, (70,00? Btu) furnace, ac. 2,00 sq. ft. In sw Ohio.
He has had two guys out to give him a quote and the one guy said because his house wasn't insulated very well geo wouldn't work for him.
Finally, my question: couldn't the geo be sized to match the 70 000 btu furnace that kept him warm all last winter?
He will use propane as backup heat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geo in old brick home

• Posted by fsq4cw Mtl/Qc/Can (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 19:06

Of course geothermal will work for your Dad's home regardless of its condition. Geothermal will be the least expensive way to space-condition. He can continue to use propane for the backup but that may be more expensive than electric heating elements.

I would install a completely variable speed system, compressor & blower, based on the present heating requirements and as the house is made more energy efficient the system can automatically throttle back as the demand decreases, thus saving even more energy.

IMO

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: International Ground Source Heat Pump Association at Oklahoma State University

This post was edited by fsq4cw on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 20:15

o
RE: Geo in old brick home

Thesilverback:

Geothermal will likely work however a geothermal system in a poorly insulated home is rare unless money isn't an issue. The installer likely understood that and was trying to save himself some time. Or the installer wasn’t comfortable designing a system for an old home.

Old homes have very different situations to contend with. Only use a geothermal company (or any HVAC company for that matter) with plenty of experience on old homes. These homes have poor insulation (as you stated) dated windows that leak like a sieve, different building materials and high infiltration rates.

A blower door test as well as the Manual J is critical for such an old home. The tonnage calculations can be way off if the infiltration rate alone is wrong in the Manual J. A poor design on an old home can have devastating results.

Find a geo installer with plenty of experience on old homes first and don’t compromise. Until you find that experienced installer with old homes, I wouldn’t recommend geothermal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here