Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solar pump with trickle tank

Posted by bigeasyjock (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 14:49

Any one using this combo out there for home water? I have an electric pump with a regular ol' pressure tank (55 gallon tank I'd guess) but the idea of this combo sounds like a winner; first the pump is solar and then the trickle storage method uses less electric (even if solar sourced that would still save on the size of soalr panel required I'd say). Only draw back I can think of would be the need to elevate tank for pressure (any ideas as to how much of an elevation needed for good pressure??) and the large size of the tank needed.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solar pump with trickle tank

Yikes 50 feet of elevation!!! That would run into some big bucks for sure.
I have also heard of using the larger pipe to create a greater pressure. When I had once asked a local guy who installs the pump/tank system like I now have about increasing the pressure he said to either use a submersible pump or increase the size of pipe from the tank to the house or both.
We are not very hilly down here but I assume that the elevation of the land would be included in the total elevation above point of use, the house?
Oh and I am used to a lower pressure out in the country than what we have in the city so your 20 foot of elevation and larger pipe may be just the thing ;o)
I would need to figure out the max water used in a normal 5 day period and use a properly sized tank for that need. That and a few $$$$ and I'll be set ;o)HA!!!
THANKS!!!
Mike

o
RE: solar pump with trickle tank

Wow thats a huge difference even between the 1/2 and 3/4 inch pipe. I had though to go with a 1" or better and adapt near the house but do not see a real need to do so now.
Thanks again Gary.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here