Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solar refrigeration

Posted by hemnancy (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 5:21

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Sun Frost 19 cu. ft. refrigerator, and how reliable it is, plus cost. I would also like to know how much the solar panels, batteries, controllers, etc would cost to run it, and what happens in the wintertime in Washington state where I live. I don't know if it is possible to back up solar power with wind power living in on a property with a lot of trees, or if anyone can practically back up solar power with pedal powered generators. Or if the household current somehow backs up the solar and how that compares to running an energy star refrigerator.

I get the impression from looking at complaint boards on the internet that the newer refrigerators that have electronic control panels may have problems that make them break down in a few years. I had a new smooth cooktop range that had the motherboard go out and turn the broiler on without being able to turn it off after only a couple of years, so it seems to me the electronic controls of modern appliances make them much less reliable than the old style refrigerators, that could last 20-50 years. Would the solar refrigerator above have these electronic issues as well?

Thanks, Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solar refrigeration

Hi,
The PVWatts calculator (link attached) will tell how much power you will get on average from a PV array in your area.
You can use wind to complement PV, or, some people just have a generator to charge batteries during unusually low sun times.

The Sun Frost fridges have a good reputation, but some people think that that they don't offer as much electricity saving over good energy star conventional fridges as they used to because the conventional fridges have improved.
I lived with one for a couple days once, and it was a nicely made fridge.

The SunDanzer fridges also have a good reputation for quality and low energy use:
http://www.sundanzer.com/Home.html

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: The NREL PVWatts PV Calculator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here