Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Energy Use Monitoring

Posted by garymunson-2008 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 5:04

I'll risk being pounded for posting a commercial site but found this very interesting...being able to monitor your home online at a reasonable cost....http://welserver.com/index.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Energy Use Monitoring

I suppose if you're obsessive enough and you have nothing better to do with your time, you can monitor every panny you're spending on energy. I'm not ready for that, not yet.

o
RE: Energy Use Monitoring

gary

I have looked at the WEL and it is a great idea if all you want to do is monitor On/Off status and temperature of devices or loop points. However, it provides no ability to control any of the HVAC components which is what I would like to have someday.

If you Google "Rabbit Computer", you will find the website of ZCore that makes the microprocessor used in the WEL. There is also 3rd party software available called MicroCommander by Intec that provides a high level language for programming the Rabbit processor. That might be of interest for those who want to both monitor & control their HVAC system. I see myself headed in that direction in the long run.

As energy costs continue to rise, I see a big need to have dynamic HVAC contollers to squeeze out the most of evey penny of energy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here