Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small solar Panel

Posted by Adaa (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 04 at 22:08

Please Help! I have an electric outdoor fountain. Rather than connecting it to the oulet with those long wires. I am looking powering it with a small solar panel. Anyone know where I'd go to get one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small solar Panel

I would do two things. First, I would replace the pump with one that is 12V. You can go to Wal-Mart to the boating supplies and get a 12V bilge pump. It is red and white and should cost under $15. Then, I'd get the solar panel from www.eaarthsolar.com. E-mail me if you need more info.

Lee

o

I think you will find that the panel you need is larger than ou expect.

I am a big fan of solar, use it on my boat and for hot water, but the electrical production is still lower than we wold hope.

Colin

o

It looks like you can get a panel of suitable size for around $300 from the www.earthsolar.com site above. Going with a DC pump would be a good idea given that's what these panels produce, but you'd need some voltage regulation so they didn't burn up your motor when they were putting out power levels other than what your pump motor needs.

Probably the easiest way to achieve it would be to use the panel to charge a battery pack and then power the pump off the battery pack. That would also keep the pump going at normal speed on cloudy days or into the evening. You might want to use a timer to shut it off at night so as not to overly drain the batteries.

A setup like this would be rather expensive. Given the low power drain of a small AC powered pump, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. It'd surely be a lot easier to just get some UF (underground feeder) cable and just bury your wire and connect it to your home's power.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here