Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solar Attic Fan

Posted by harlan (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 16:28

I am interested in getting feedback from anyone who has installed solar attic fans. Need to cool very hot garage. Are you satisfied with them? Are they worth the money, etc. Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solar Attic Fan

Yes they work. If you have no intention of changing the roof for > 10 years, get one. It probably will be more than enough for a standard sized garage (~ 400 sq ft).

However, I prefer having a passive venting solution. I just removed my solar attic fan after re-roofing with metal shakes. Changing from an asphalt based roofing system to a metal roof made a significant diff (almost 10 degrees centigrade).

o

I've read a lot of complaints that the solar fans break after one or two years, but have never had one myself. I have a couple of fans at the top of the attic in the louvered vents that have a built in thermostat. I have them set to come on at 100 degrees, I think.
These suck air in thru the soffits, the blow it out up top. Seem to work OK, this is my second year with them.

o

The solar fan I took off my roof is still working after 5+ years. It is now surplus.

o

They work okay and might have application value if you are trying to cool a garage but ideal ventilation is passive for the main home.

Attic fans, even solar units, can create negative pressure and exacerbate the air leakage issue for the conditioned space.

Ideal ventilation is passive and move directly under the roof deck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here