Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recessed can lighting

Posted by momwalkin (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 15:36

We recently had a blower door test done on our home which showed lots of air leakage through our recessed can lights.

I found a product called a Halo 30 trim kit that is suppose to make the cans air tight.
We have LOTS of cans in our home and the cost of each trim kit is around $12.
I would like to know whether anyone has used this product and does it perform as advertised.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recessed can lighting

Hi,
I've not tried them, but looking at the description of it and some others, the idea sounds OK. Maybe try one of them, and do a little smoke pencil test on a windy day.

We had a lot of leakage through IC rated can lights. I went into the attic and pulled away the insulation around each, then sealed up all the open holes with aluminum tape, and then sprayed the polyurethane foam in a can ("Great Stuff" is one brand)to seal the area where the can joins the sheetrock, and any other places that seemed like they needed it. Then put the insulation back in place.

This works 100%, but its more work. Not sure if its technically legal, but we use low wattage CFLs in the cans anyway, so not much heat.

Before doing this, on windy days, you could just feel the cold breeze coming through the cans -- it makes a world of difference. Its depressing to think that such awful designs can be so common even in new construction.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here