Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhwu_gw

Electric vs Gas Heat at PhotoVoltaic Panels

jhwu
15 years ago

Hi, I've been doing some thinking about energy production and use for my home in San Francisco - I live on the west side so its fairly foggy and cool.

Anyways, I've determined that I'd like to install radiant heat - hydronic.

The question then is: how do I heat the water? Its a given that I'll put a ~5KW PV system on the roof. For mechanical complexity and simple roof space issues, I cannot put a solar water heater on the roof.

My choices for heating the water for hydronic heat are then:

1) Closed system (doesn't mix with potable water) electric water heater

2) Closed system (doesn't mix with potable water) gas water heater

Conventional wisdom says that gas is cheaper than electricity ... but I was doing some simple math on the latest energy costs (June 2008) and it doesn't seem to be so....

PG&E charges me:

ELECTRICITY

12 cents per KWh in the summer and 7.5 cents per KWh in the winter -> Average is 9.75 cents per KWh

GAS

$1.91 per therm

Given that there is 100,000 BTU in a therm of gas and 3413 BTU in a KWh of electricty, I can say that:

1 therm gas = 29.3 KWh electricity

So, to receive 100,000 BTU energry to power my water heater, I would have to buy $1.91 of gas or $2.86 of electricity.

However, we can consider that Gas water heaters are about 82% efficient at converting energy in natural gas to water heat, whereas electric water heaters are about 98% efficient at converting electrical energy to water heat.

Subsequently, we can say that 1 therm gas = 24.5 KWh electricity.... so taking this efficiency into account, to receive 82,000 BTU of energy in the form of heated water(gas water heater being 82% efficient) I would need to spend:

$1.91 of gas or $2.39 of electricity

Electricity is still about 20% more expensive, but that's where PV panels on the roof come in. Has anyone considered this, or are my assumptions way off?

Thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert