Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gutter runoff

Posted by dowdell69 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 13:46

Hello all...

I'm a first time home owner and am looking for ways to run gutter water away from my foundations. I currently have the plastic tubing attached at my downspouts but would like to bury them. I have adequate slope in both the front and rear of my home...any tips on how and how far off I should run them would be much appreciated, oh yeah...I live in TN and the soil is clay (didn't know if that would have any effect on the situation)...thanx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gutter runoff

This can be a big problem. We may solve it at our place with some form of rainwater harvesting. In the meantime, the link at the bottom of this post will provide an interesting read and some ideas. Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainwater Harvesting

o

Rainwater harvesting is great, but it is illegal in Colorado to collect the water from your downspouts unless you own the water rights on your land (and most new homeowners don't). Rainwater that falls on your property here does not legally belong to you. There are very strict water rights in the western states and you have to be very careful with what you do out here. Our neighborhood uses untreated water to water our greenbelts and it is water that is collected in our neighborhood ponds from run-off, but we have to pay for the right to use this water since it is not "owned" by us even though it is on our land. Water rights in the western states is very interesting.

o

Re: dlynn

Very interesting indeed! Actually, sounds insane to an outsider, however, I'm sure there are good reasons.

SR

o

Crazy as this may seem, the law actually says rain water harvesting is illegal in Colorado. Water rights on property in the west is similar to mineral rights on property in Texas and other states, if that helps to explain it a little. Here's a link to Colorado law on water rights. We were amazed when someone first told us about it. It seems ridiculous that you don't have the right to collect rain water in your own yard, but you don't.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado water rights

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here