Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking Feedback on Bright Home Solutions in NYC Area

Posted by dreamojean (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 12:35

if any of you have used Bright Home Solutions based north of New York City, I'd like feedback, positive or negative. i just got a quote from them for insulating our cockloft with dry cellulose and air sealing the cellar and it seems a bit high, and they want 50% down 50% at completion which isn't what I'm used to with contractors, and I only have a referral from a relative in the energy auditing business to go on. I need more feedback before proceeding or an estimate from another contractor so would love other suggestions for who to use (other than JC Home Care based on Long Island, who I originally sought to use but now don't plan to use).

Thanks for any feedback on Bright Home or suggestions for an alternative air sealing/insulation contractor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking Feedback on Bright Home Solutions in NYC Area

Not in the area and I don't know the companies or any others. I know this isn’t your question and sorry for my 2 pennies in this manner.

The insulation company may be great but I never recommend payments like you mentioned. Too many property owners get into trouble when they payout too early or too much too quickly. It’s all about “necessary leverage” on your side and the contractors.

Any reputable company that has payroll, material accounts and overhead doesn’t need to spend much money for a project such as yours to get started or even complete. The contractors will need to cut checks in a week or two for labor and in a month or more for materials. Their biggest up front, out of pocket here will likely be fuel and they will likely have accounts for even that.

If the contractor needs the money up front to pay for labor or materials, careful, they may not be financially stable.

From the contractors’ side, if a property owners’ credit is not very good or if the property owner is cutting the price to the bone, I’d require money as fast as legally possible. Maybe not even take the job.

If I was in this situation, I’d pay a third down when they show up to start and another third when they complete even if it’s the same day. I’d pay the final third in one week or two since this is a simple trade and it gives me time to thoroughly inspect their work. Make sure the terms are in writing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here