Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycling Glazed Solar Panels for Pool?

Posted by nziegler (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 11:32

We have four 4x8 glazed solar panels that were once used for hot water heating but are no longer used. I was wondering if they could be used to supplement heating in a 20'x40'swimming pool? I read somewhere on this forum that you cannot run pool water through the copper pipes and need a heat exchanger. Would it be worth it if we had to buy a heat exchanger? How long do glazed solar panels last and is there a way to find out if ours still have life left in them?
I hate to throw them away if there is another good use for them and sure do hate paying that propane bill every summer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycling Glazed Solar Panels for Pool?

Thank you for your response, Gary. It may be more trouble than it is worth for heating the pool.

I am intrigued by the comment that you made about solar space heating. We are currently using electric heat in the garage apartment on top of which these units are installed. If I bought a heat exchanger and a fan unit, could I hook these panels up for solar heat? I am assuming that there is a pump somewhere that was associated with the solar hot water system... or would that have been in the hot water tank? The space in the garage apartment is only about 350 sq feet. Would four 4'x8' panels produce enough heat to make an impact in this space? Gee, I would be very happy just to make a good dent in the electric bill!

o
RE: Recycling Glazed Solar Panels for Pool?

I really like this idea. I contacted a local company who does work with solar systems and they approximated the following costs: $1,200 for a 125 gal water tank, $1,000 for plumbing and controller, $400 for a heat exchanger... $2,600 total minus 30% federal tax rebate. Do these costs sound reasonable? My husband could probably do most of this, but I know that he does not have the time and it would never get done. I wish I knew how many watts we are using to heat the space now so I could figure out the cost/benefit and determine if it is worth it! I think that it may pay for itself over a period of time, but I am not sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here