Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you get electricity in a rainy day?

Posted by mrsolarpanels (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 4:25

How do you get electricity in a rainy day if you have solar panels? I am working on a project and I have to build a house with solar panels. My teacher asked me how would I get solar energy if it is rainy or cloudy? I looked it up but didn't understand. Please help me!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you get electricity in a rainy day?

Hi,
There are two common ways to handle this:

1) Have the solar panels charge batteries, and use the batteries for rainy day power. You have to have enough solar panels and batteries to collect enough power on sunny days to get you through the rainy days.

2) Some houses with solar panels tie into the utility power grid. In this case, the power for a rainy day comes from the power grid. Anytime the panels are not generating enough power, the grid supplies the extra. Anytime the solar panels are generating more power than the house can use, the excess goes out to the grid, and your electric meter "turns backwards" to give you credit for the power.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here