Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
geothermal residental system

Posted by yankeegranny (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 17:46

We live near Myrtle Beach SC and our heat pumps are on their last legs. We are considering heat pumps, propane furnace or geothermal as replacements. We have a 2400 sq ft rance that is extremely well insulated. 30 ft behind out house is a 1 acre 20 ft deep pond that could be used for a coil type of geothermal installation. Is anyone out there familiar with the pond type of installation? We sit on 90+ feet of sand and have a lot of acreage so we could do a horizontal installation if needed. I read a lot about installing geothermal up north where it is cold, but how about down south where the ground doesn't freeze and winter is only a few weeks long?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: geothermal residental system

Using the pond may be possible. 90 feet of sand may not be the best condition for a ground loop. I would suggest consulting with an accredited professional in your area before ruling anything in or out.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: IGSHPA, International Ground Source Heat Pump Association at Oklahoma State University

o

Sounds like you have an ideal set up for geothermal. Try asking for information on the www.geoexchange.org forums, quite a few professionals are on there and will give you solid advice. I know that a few do pond loops all the time because they talk about them. And, some live in florida and the south so could give you tips as well.

As for me, I live in a coastal area in the northeast and my vertical ground loops go through a mix of sand and gravel, but it sure looks like sand to me when it gets drilled. My loops work very well. I LOVE my geothermal system. It was just put in in late December and has kept our house so warm and cosy.

o

Question for "sunnyflies." Did you have to case your wells (expensive, right)? How deep were they?

o

We've been living with our geothermal system for 2 years now and the the thing runs fine. We live in the northeast and use it for heating more than cooling, but it does both jobs very well. Best part is waving at the oil trucks as they drive by the house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here