Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brn3a

Solar panels and roof load question

brn3a
14 years ago

Hi,

We live in Virginia and have a 4 panel solar thermal setup that contributes to our winter heating needs and provides ample hot water in the summer. We are able to use the panels for heat as we have hydronic radiant floor heat. Anyway, Virginia now has a solar thermal rebate and because of that we can add 3 more panels for essentially free since all the plumbing, etc has been done. Out current system uses 4 AET flat panel 4'x10' modules that weighing ~155lbs each. The are mounted on a 2 rail/track system with room to add more. I am worried about the point and dead loads of adding 3 more panels.

Our house is brand new. The rafters are hand cut (ie. not trusses) 2x12's. I assume the roof meets Virginia code. The panel rails are installed perpendicular to the rafter(each rafter carries 2 points, 1 from the lower rail and one from the upper rail). This past winter we had an (unusually) large amount of snow in Virginia.

I am not asking for engineering advice, but if a setup of 7 4x10 panels mounted on the roof exceeds the experience of this group.

BM

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!