Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wittyhoosier

Vapor barrier coatings in the attic

wittyhoosier
18 years ago

My attic has fiberglass batt insulation...installed upside down, with vapor barrier up. I want to remove all of this insulation and blow in cellulose. Is there a reasonable way to create a vapor barrier between the ceiling joists instead of using VB paint on the ceiling inside the house? Thanks,

Andy

Comments (5)

• RCMJr
    18 years ago

I don't know of an easy or good way to do it once the ceiling is in. But, you may not have to. If you've got sufficient ventilation above the cellulose; it can breathe well enough to disperse any moisture.

The way the f'glas is in there now; it'll want to trap any moisture coming up through the ceiling . . if you haven't had such troubles with it the way it is; I doubt you'll have any troubles with properly installed ( and ventilated ) cellulose.

Cellulose is a better insulation . . . and FAR more environmentally friendly . . good move in both those respects . .

Bob

• wittyhoosier
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I tend to crawl around in the attic on the regular, and I have never seen any evidence of moisture build up. Guess that is a good point. Don't fix what ain't broke! My house is done in a concrete type plaster. I wonder if that is barrier enough to keep it dry, or if the ventilation up there is just that good?
    Andy

• RCMJr
    18 years ago

If you have a moisture problem; it would be most evident during a cold stretch; and by reaching under the vapor barrier . . and feeling around in the f'glass for moisture / dampness. If there's nothing there ( moisture ); then you've got low vapor penetration and / or good ventilation . . in either case; seemingly no problem.

Bob

• solargary
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Why not just remove the paper backing on the fiberglass, or cut slits in it, and then blow cellulose over it?

It took a lot of energy to make that fiberglass -- it would be nice to keep it working, rather than ending up in a landfill?

Gary

• wittyhoosier
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was actually planning to use the fiberglass to insulate my attached garage. The paper is pretty much shot though, so I was trying to figure a way to get the 'glass to stay in the wall with nothing to staple to. I figured on using plastic sheet on the inside wall, and stapleing that to the stud, but I'm afraid the glass will slump down inside. Any ideas?

Sponsored