Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
air seal attic???

Posted by truzella (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 18:55

We live in MD and have about an R19 value in our attic. I was thinking of having Applegate insulation of about 8-10 inches blown into the attic. How important is having the attic air sealed before blowing in the insulation? What is a reasonable cost for a 24 x 44 attic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: air seal attic???

if you are talking about sealing the attic vents(soffit/gable/ridge) then DON'T. you need them open to allow the attic to breathe. close them up and you get humidity issues.

o
RE: air seal attic???

They are air sealing between the sealing and attic floor. While you are at it, get a blower door test done before/after - if the house is too "tight" you may need an ERV or HRV.

I am not sure about the sealing costs, but here in PA the cost for spray foam is $1-2 per square foot for 1" thick - would be more for an attic since removing insulation to foam underneath is not fun. The air sealing cost may be less, since they will just foam drywall gaps, edges, intersections and plumbing penetrations.

The attic air sealing will be very worthwhile. If your basement is unfinished do the band joist also - a huge sorce of leakage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here